Monday, March 23, 2009

The details

This is how it went down...
Tuesday night (3/17) at around 10:15 my water broke and shocked the hell out of me. I absolutely was not expecting this but was hoping that it would happen this way so that I would know for sure that I was in labor. I had been having super sharp pains all evening but didn't think they were labor pains and still don't think they were. We were getting ready for bed and luckily I was in the bathroom when my water broke. Troy started running around like a madman and grabbed the suitcase, put it in the car and changed before I had even thought about what exactly was happening. I thought I would just dink around for a few minutes making sure I had everything I needed - I was obviously in complete denial. We called the on-call doc and she said to come in right away so we drove to Swedish and since it was around 10:20 there was no traffice - thank god. I immediately went to triage and I was dialated to a 4 even though my contractions weren't painful at all and they then set us up with the most amazing birthing suite we could ask for. They started me on pitocin since there is more risk for infection when your water breaks and they wanted to speed up the contractions and make them more intense. About 3 hrs after that I finally asked for the epidural and was so relieved when I did as I had miserable back labor since she was facing my spine.

I started progessing quite fast and before we knew it I was dialted to a 7 and then a few hours after that a 10 - when you're a 10 you start pushing. But no... not me. They wanted me to labor down for a few hours (it was about 7am by this time) which means they let the baby progress down the birth canal a bit more without me pushing. Finally at 10am I started pushing and three hours later we had a beautiful baby girl. Troy was an absolute super star the whole time; it was only him and the nurse with me in the room for about 2 1/2 hours while I was pushing and then the doctor made an appearance. Troy was in charge of telling the nurse when I was peaking in contractions and he was really doing most of the work, besides me of course.

It was the most amazing day of our lives. Now that we have a child together that is equal parts him and me it really is incredible.

Here are a few more pics that I have taken in the last couple of days along with another hospital pic.


10 comments:

Joe and Ronda said...

OOOHHH Ashley... she is absolutely gorgeous!!! What a beautiful little face. How wonderful Troy was such a support to you. We love you guys! :)

Stacie said...

She is beautiful!!!! Congrats again to you both, sounds like things went really well, yay!!! :)

Blyth Family Blog said...

I love her, so precious. Sounds like you had a pretty good labor (considering!!) I hope mine goes that way!! Congrats again Mommy!

Melissa Moore said...

Ashley she is beautiful. Loved the play by play, isn't it nice to be able to remember it all? Glad everyone is doing well, can't wait for more pics.

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful. Congrats Ashley

thuriks said...

So excited for you & Troy. She is so pretty, just like her Momma. So excited to meet her this week.

Natalie said...

I am so happy for you and she is just the cutest little thing. I am so glad that your labor went well :)Congrats!!

Jen said...

Yay! Glad I got the details although I'm still dying to hear about how it REALLY went... She's just SO cute, loved Misty's pics and can't wait to see her develop and become cuter by the day as she grows up. Love you and miss you tons x

Leah said...

Bummed I didn't get to see you guys this weekend, but I will make up for lost time. Can't wait to see her (ok, and you guys) again.

Shelby said...

Ashley she so gorgeous! You guys did good :) All the best to you and your new family.