Monday, March 16, 2009

280 days and counting...

If you notice the little baby ticker on the upper right side of my blog you will see that time has apparently ran out. But that's not the case..... she's still in there sitting pretty and doesn't want to come out. I've been having quite a bit of contrations but of course nothing to start timing. Obviously all the natural induction practices that I wrote about a few days ago are all just wives tales and really don't work at all.

I have my next Dr's appointment on Wednesday but I'm really hoping I don't make it that far, and if I do and I have dialated some more he will strip my membrane (sory for the gross phrase) to get things moving. This is when he places his finger through my cervix and sweeps the amniotic membrane free of its attachment to the lower part of my uterus. This will then release the natural hormone called prostaglandins which will start my contractions for labor. We asked him when he would chemically induce me and he said that if even if I'm a week late or more and my vitals and the babys' are fine then he would let me keep going - but once I get to 2 weeks overdue then they would induce me. The reason for the hesitation is because once they use pitocin for induction there is a higher risk for c-section.

So, that's all for now. Hopefully you won't hear from me for a few days which would mean that I'm in the hospital.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Ash! I am thinking about you all the time now, I hope it happens VERY soon...can't wait to get the updates!

Shelby said...

Ok I had to stop reading about half way in...but I'm totally thinking of you and I can't wait to see her. All the best. Soon, soon, soon!

Leah said...

I think you might go crazy before this baby is born. On the plus side, at least you are READY!

Blyth Family Blog said...

Hey, at least you're ready for this little girl:) I'm not ready at all for baby boy to come.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but I just got back from the doc and he said the baby is WAY far down and I'm already 75%efaced and 2 cm dialated...and have 4 weeks to go till my due date. Maybe we'll be giving birth on the same day! I'll be thinking of you and hoping she comes ASAP...

Stacie said...

Ms. Westyn wants to be fashionably late!! Hang in there girl!!

Natalie said...

I am so excited for you, any day now. Jordan was 15 day late. I had to be induced and ended up with a c-section, not fun. At least it isn't 100 degrees out :)

Jen said...

Mmmm, membrane sweeping-perfect lunch reading! Any day now, Ash-seriously you're almost there. I'm off to my first prego yoga class tonight-never to late to start at 32 weeks! Will try you again to see if you're still at home, love you lots and wishing you tons of luck xxxxxx

The Haigh's said...

Jesus Nat - 15 days late!!!!! Well that definitely makes me feel better.....

jasgmwright said...

YAY! We are so happy for you! Congratulations on that BEA-U-TI-FUL baby girl! I just want to gobble her up! She is so darling!! Wish we could be there to see you! Hopefully, we will be up in April sometime.
Enjoy all the sleepless nights, baby neck snuggles, sweet baby breath...I loved it all and it only gets better!!! The kids can't wait to meet their new cousin! They were all "giggley" when we showed them her picture on the computer!
xoxoxo
Lots of love,
Angie, Jim, Skylar, Gavin & Marley Wright

jasgmwright said...

By the way, Gavin wants to know if Westyn has curly hair like him!! LOL! :)